This updated Second Edition of Research Methods, Statistics, and Applications consistently integrates methods and statistics to prepare students for both graduate work and critical analysis of research as professionals and informed citizens. Maintaining the conversational writing style, multiple examples, and hands-on applications of key concepts that made the first edition so accessible, Kathrynn A. Adams and Eva K. Lawrence enhance the new edition with additional coverage of online data collection, inferential statistics, and regression and ANOVA, as well as a wide range of diverse examples. In every chapter, the authors develop and apply research topics and examples from the current research literature across all aspects of the research process.
New to this Edition
- New diverse examples from current research literature in criminal justice, politics, education, and counseling expose students to different research designs in the social sciences and demonstrate commonalities.
- New chapter-ending The Big Picture sections with appropriate charts and tables encourage students to consider decisions about specific statistical analyses.
- Two separate chapters (Inferential Statistics and Comparing Your Sample to a Known or Expected Score) now allow instructors to focus on the theoretical concepts associated with inferential statistics before introducing each specific inferential statistic to enhance student understanding.
- Expanded coverage of inferential statistics includes more discussion of APA guidelines for appropriate statistics and more focus on effect sizes and confidence intervals.
- New consistent headings make it easy for students to quickly locate information and for instructors to identify sections they may wish to focus on, skip, or present in a different order.