Clear, informal, and even humorous, Examples & Explanations: Conflicts of Law, Fourth Edition, explores all topics covered in Conflicts courses, including personal jurisdiction and the Erie doctrine. It covers traditional and modern approaches to choice of law, proof of law, and enforcement of foreign country and sister state judgments. It provides up-to-date coverage of constitutional limits on personal jurisdiction, choice of law, and actions against sister states. Big-picture overviews and accurate statements of rules are reinforced with concrete examples and test-taking tips.
The powerful Examples & Explanations pedagogy works especially well for Conflict of Laws where students gain understanding of rules and policies by applying them to new fact patterns. Summaries of leading cases found in most casebooks and a modular organization allows easy adaptation to any course.
New to the Fourth Edition:
- Substantially revised personal jurisdiction chapters to add latest Supreme Court cases
- New material on full faith and credit and immunity of state governments to suit in sister states in response to recent Supreme Court decisions
- New material on proof of foreign country law in response to recent Supreme Court decision
- Additional material on state law proof of law that refers to new developments in state law
- New examples and explanations that apply most recent changes in law
- Continued coverage of same-sex marriage rights after Obergefell
Professors and students will benefit from:
- Big picture introductions that provide a helpful road map
- Accurate summaries of specific rules of law
- Clear identification of problem areas and legal uncertainties
- Strategies for answering difficult questions
- Examples that illustrate practical consequences of rules
- Explanations that discuss the application of recent Supreme Court decisions